Photo via Sloan Photographers
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.”
There is one thing that is certain in this world, and that is that things change. Everything changes. From the day we are born, we are in a constant state of change. Some changes are welcome. A new baby, an exciting new job, a new house, a promotion at work, the list is endless. When the changes are positive and happy, we welcome them. A new change can be like a breath of fresh air, and just what your soul needed. Change is good, or at least a good change is good, right? Although it would be much easier, and a lot more pleasant to only experience the good that change has to offer, it’s a fact that change can’t always be pleasant. There’s an unexpected job loss, an untimely illness, the loss of a loved one, the kinds of changes that shake us to our core, and make us want to hide in a dark hole and hibernate until the nightmare is over. How on Earth can we find solace in changes like these? What good can possibly come from our misery? How can we ever navigate our way through those darks times and start to live again?
While I never thought that I would have experienced some of the changes that have gone on in my life, I can say with a firm conviction, that I did find at least one blessing in every change that has happened to me. Going through the change of dealing with an anxiety disorder and depression, was one of the most crippling times I have ever been through. While in that change, I saw no way out. I never would have wished it upon anyone. Yet, I never would have been able to help others with their own struggles with these disorders, had I not been there myself. What good could come from losing my Mother to cancer? I never could have reached out to those around me who were or will deal with a heartbroken loss, and been there for them. I also never would have seen such compassion and kindness from those around me at that time. I saw firsthand the true beauty of the human spirit. While I know that some changes are so hard to even comprehend, and I don’t pretend to even know the pain that many of you have endured, or are enduring now, but I know that with the help of loved ones and the strength that is inside of you, you can deal with the changes of life. Some things may take years to deal with. You may need to seek professional help. But you are powerful enough to deal with change.
Here are some ways to help you deal with change:
1) Learn to accept that no matter what, change will always come.
2) Remember that even though you can’t always control what’s going on around you, you can control how you let it affect you.
3) Be patient with yourself. Give yourself permission to feel what you need to feel, and don’t belittle yourself for it.
4) Keep trying. Even if things aren’t working out, they will always improve if you are putting effort into your situation.
5) Find something each day to be grateful for, even if it is just being able to get out of bed in the morning.
6) Take time each day for yourself. Do something every day that lifts your spirits and gives you some peace.
7) Hope in a better tomorrow. Hope, and keep on hoping, that things will turn out.
8) Do something kind for someone else, whether it be your spouse, kids, neighbor, friend, colleague, anyone you think needs a bit of kindness that day. It will take you out of yourself, and it makes you feel better.
9) Keep the faith. When faith dies, so does your spirit. You have to try to fan the fire of your faith,everyday.
10) Relax. This is so hard in times of change. If you think a professional would be of help to you during the hard times of change, then go see one. Learn the art of relaxing. Find ways to bring inner peace into your life.
Change is inevitable. Everyone on this planet is constantly dealing with change. Welcome the good changes, accept the bad ones, and hold on in hope and faith of the better days that lay ahead of you. Accept help when you need it. Be there for others when they need it. Don’t be afraid of change. One day you will see a blessing through all of the changes in your life, no matter how small that blessing may be.
“The only way that we can live, is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change. The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself.”
Hope On. Journey On.